How To Set Up Nintendo Switch Parental Controls
Parental Controls for the Switch
- Restrict software by age based on each game’s ESRB rating
- Block posting to social media
- Block communication with others
- Restrict VR Mode (3D Visuals)
- Set play-time limits
- View play activity
Nintendo Switch Console
- On the Home Screen, locate and select Systems Settings.
- Once selected, scroll down to Parental Controls.
- Select Parental Control Settings, which appears on the right side of the screen.
- Scroll down and select Use This Console.
- Select Restriction Level.
- If you would like to enable the pre-made settings, select either Child, Pre-teen, or Teen from the menu and the console will automatically restrict content based on your child's age.
- If you would rather have your settings customized, select Custom Settings instead.
Customize Your Settings
- From the Custom Settings menu, select Restrict Software.
- To restrict games based on their rating, select Software Ratings Organization.
- To restrict the ability to post to social media, select Post to Social Media. (NOTE: No players under the age of 13 will be able to access Nintendo's social media content, no matter what the parental controls are set to).
- To limit your child's ability to send messages, share images, and get user profile information, select Communicating with Others.
Controls From Your Smartphone
- On your Switch console's Home Screen, launch the System Settings.
- Scroll down and select Parental Settings.
- Select Parental Control Settings.
- You will then be sent to a page that will ask you how you would like to set up your Parental Control Settings. Select Use your Smart Device.
- It will ask you if you have the Parental Control app. Select Yes.
- Then select Enter Registration Code. Enter the code the app generated for you when you first opened it.
- Select Register.
- Go back to the app and select Set Parental Controls.
- You will be prompted to Set a Daily Limit. You can either select No Limit or you can choose to limit activity for up to 6 hours.
- Tap Next, then choose to create a pre-made setting by selecting either Child, Pre-Teen, or Teen. Or select Custom Setting for individualized restrictions.
- Select Next to save your settings.
- If you would like to receive Push notifications for a statement on your child's monthly game activity, tap Allow.
Bark - The Internet Safety Solution
Bark is dedicated to helping keep kids safe online and in real life. In 2018, we helped protect nearly 3 million kids with our groundbreaking products for families and schools.
By monitoring text messages, YouTube, emails, and 24+ different social networks for potential safety concerns like cyberbullying, self-harm, violence, sexual predators, and more, Bark allows busy parents to rest easier knowing their kids are better protected from digital dangers. Sign up today to start your free, one-week trial or visit Bark.us to learn more.