How To Set Up Reddit Parental Controls
How to Keep Your Child Safe on Reddit
How to create an account
How to secure your child’s Reddit account
- Click on your child’s account username at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Select User Settings from the dropdown menu.
- Tap the Profile menu button.
- Scroll down until you see the Advanced section. Uncheck both Content Visibility and Active in communities visibility, which will help keep your child more anonymous online. Click Save at the bottom of the screen.
- Next, scroll back up and select the Privacy & Security menu button.
- In the top section labeled User Privacy, uncheck Search engine indexing. This prevents any search engine from displaying your child's profile in search results.
- Scroll down until you see the Messaging Privacy section. Click on the dropdown next to the Who can message you setting and change it from Everyone to Whitelisted. Now you can customize the users who can message your child's account; for example, a neighborhood friend. Keep in mind that administrators and moderators of subreddits that your child is following will always be able to send them private messages. So it is important to decide carefully what subreddits your child can follow. Click Save at the bottom of the screen.
- Next, scroll back up and click on the Feed Settings menu button.
- At the very top of the list is the Content Preferences section. Verify that Adult Content is disabled (it should be disabled by default but it doesn't hurt to double-check). It may also be a good idea to disable Autoplay media immediately below the Adult Content setting, which stops videos and .gifs from playing automatically. Click Save at the bottom of the screen.
Report hateful speech or bullying.
- For offensive posts: click the “...” at the bottom of the post and select Report from the dropdown that appears. Then select a reason for the report and click Submit.
- For offensive comments, click on the Report button immediately below the comment. Then select a reason for the report and click Submit.
How to Monitor ContentIn addition to setting parental controls on your child's device, the next safety layer parents and caregivers should strongly consider is a monitoring solution to assess the content their kids encounter (and produce) across text messages, social media, and email. Bark can do this for you. On Reddit, Bark monitors your child's submissions, comments, and private messages. This includes replies to their comments, which come in as private messages. If you'd like to see a detailed list of everything Bark can monitor, click here.
Bark - The Internet Safety Solution
Bark is dedicated to helping keep kids safe online and in real life. In 2018, we helped protect nearly 3 million kids with our groundbreaking products for families and schools.
By monitoring text messages, YouTube, emails, and 24+ different social networks for potential safety concerns like cyberbullying, self-harm, violence, sexual predators, and more, Bark allows busy parents to rest easier knowing their kids are better protected from digital dangers. Sign up today to start your free, one-week trial or visit Bark.us to learn more.