How To Create a Gmail Account For Your Child
For Kids Under 13
How to create a Google Account for children under 13
- Download the Family Link app.
- Open the Family Link app.
- In the top right, tap Create or +.
- Follow the instructions on screen to create your child’s account.
- When you're done, a confirmation will show on the screen.
How Gmail accounts are different for kids under 13
- Ads: Google won't serve ads in Gmail or process Gmail messages for advertising purposes.
- Automatic forwarding: Children can't automatically forward emails to another email address.
- Gmail offline: If their device isn't connected to the internet, children can’t read, send, or search their Gmail emails.
- Google+: Children can't use any Google+ features available in Gmail.
- Labs: Children can’t turn on experimental Gmail features.
- Mail delegation: Children can't give someone else access to read, send, or delete their emails.
- Spam: If Gmail identifies an email as spam, it won't get delivered to your child's inbox or spam folder.
For Kids Over 13
How to create filters
- Sign into your child's Gmail account.
- Click on the gear icon in the top right corner.
- Click Settings.
- Click on the Filters and Blocked Addresses tab.
- Click Create a New Filter and follow the prompts to create a custom filter.
- Opt to have the emails that don't fit into the filter deleted, rather than sent to spam to ensure your child cannot access them.
How to check your child's email from your account
- Enter the Settings section of your own Gmail account using the gear icon at the top of the inbox.
- Click on the Accounts and Import tab.
- Click on Add Account.
- Enter the email address and password that you would like to import.
- The added account should be your child's email account.
How to block an email address from contacting your child
- Open the offending email.
- In the top right of the message, click More.
- Then, click Block [sender].
- If you blocked someone by mistake, you can unblock them using these same steps.
How To Set Up Google Family Link
Click here to learn how to set up Google Family Link.
How to Monitor ContentIn addition to setting parental controls on your child's device, the next safety layer parents and caregivers should strongly consider is a monitoring solution to assess the content their kids encounter (and produce) across text messages, social media, and email. Bark can do this for you. In Gmail, Bark monitors the emails your child sends and receives including attachments and gmail chats they send and receive. If you'd like to see a detailed list of everything Bark can monitor, click here.
Bark - The Internet Safety Solution
Bark is dedicated to helping keep kids safe online and in real life. In 2018, we helped protect nearly 3 million kids with our groundbreaking products for families and schools.
By monitoring text messages, YouTube, emails, and 24+ different social networks for potential safety concerns like cyberbullying, self-harm, violence, sexual predators, and more, Bark allows busy parents to rest easier knowing their kids are better protected from digital dangers. Sign up today to start your free, one-week trial or visit Bark.us to learn more.