How To Set Up Google Fi Parental Controls
Is Google Fi Appropriate for Family Usage?
How to Obtain and Set Up Family Link for Project Fi
- On the primary account, go to the Google Play Store app.
- Search for "Google Family Link." Double check that the listed developer is "Google" to avoid downloading a similarly-named app.
- Launch the Family Link app.
- Log in with your Google account, or whichever account you intend to be the primary administrator for Family Link.
- Follow the on-screen guide for adding each child's Google account, linking them to the primary account. Each linked account will also have to download the Family Link app to their phones and login with their individual accounts for these features to activate.
How to Use Family Link
- After following the steps above, launch the Family Link app on the primary administrator's smartphone.
- Choose the account you would like to monitor or manage.
- Tap Activity to see usage information. Scroll through the data to see which apps were used and for how long, how often the screen was on, and more. Tap any of these to set limits on screen, data, or app usage.
- To see the GPS location of the phone, tap Location.
- Choose Apps to see which apps your child has downloaded. If their account is restricted to seek approval from the primary account before downloading, you'll see a list of requested downloads to individually approve or deny. Tap an app for additional options; usually, you'll just see whether to enable or disable in-app purchases for this specific app.
- Tap Recommended Apps to see a list of curated suggestions for apps known to be safe and appropriate for children. You can queue these to be automatically downloaded to your child's phone.
How to Manage Project Fi Data Usage
- Go to the Project Fi website at https://fi.google.com/
- Log in with the primary account holder's Google account.
- Select Account.
- Choose Manage Plan.
- Click Add a Person.
- In the input field that pops up here, put in the Google account names for each child or other user you'd like to share your Project Fi account with.
- Each invited user will receive an email link that lets them opt in to your Project Fi account. Have them click the link and follow the on-screen instructions.
How to Turn On Data Alerts for Project Fi
- Open the Project Fi app on the primary account holder's smartphone.
- Tap Account Settings.
- Choose Alerts.
- There is a list of notification levels; choose the one appropriate for your family based on how frequently you'd like to see warnings for how much data is being used.
How to Monitor ContentIn addition to setting parental controls on your child's device, the next safety layer parents and caregivers should strongly consider is a monitoring solution to assess the content their kids encounter (and produce) across text messages, social media, and email. Bark can do this for you. On Android devices, Bark can monitor text messages (including deleted ones!), photos, videos, web browsing (including Incognito on the Chrome browser/app!), and many installed apps, including Snapchat, Instagram, YouTube, TikTok (formerly Musical.ly), WhatsApp, and Kik. On iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod), Bark can monitor text messages/iMessages (including some deleted messages!), photos, videos, web browsing (on Safari and Chrome), and Whatsapp! Any other email and social media accounts must be connected via the parent dashboard and will be monitored at the account-level, regardless if accessed on a phone, tablet, or a computer. Bark also monitors your child's Android device location with check-ins. If you'd like to see a detailed list of everything Bark can monitor, click here.
Bark - The Internet Safety Solution
Bark is dedicated to helping keep kids safe online and in real life. In 2018, we helped protect nearly 3 million kids with our groundbreaking products for families and schools.
By monitoring text messages, YouTube, emails, and 24+ different social networks for potential safety concerns like cyberbullying, self-harm, violence, sexual predators, and more, Bark allows busy parents to rest easier knowing their kids are better protected from digital dangers. Sign up today to start your free, one-week trial or visit Bark.us to learn more.