The new OnePlus 7 was released in the fall of 2019. The OnePlus phones run a custom version of the Android operating system called Oxygen OS. While it doesn't look much different than the standard Android OS, it includes small tweaks and features that make it a unique phone operating system.
How To Set Up Google Family Link
Google Family Link is an app that allows parents to view their child’s smartphone activity, manage the apps they can use and download, set screen time limits, lock their device, and even track their location.
Family Link does not block inappropriate content, but some apps have their own filtering options. Google apps, such as Search and Chrome, have filtering options that you can find in Family Link. For parents of teens 13 and older, Restricted Mode on YouTube is an optional setting that can be used to help filter out mature content. However, Google notes that these filters are not perfect, so explicit, graphic, or other content you may not want your child to see makes it through sometimes.
Kids and teens that use Android devices running version 7.0 or higher can use Family Link. Some devices running Android versions 5.0 and 6.0 may be able to run Family Link. Parents can use Family Link on any Android devices running versions 4.4 and higher as well as iPhones running iOS9 and higher.
Family Link also runs on Chromebook. With the Family Link app, you can choose what websites your child can access using Chrome, supervise your child’s app usage, and more. Family Link can be used with Chromebooks running Chrome OS versions 71 or higher.
to learn how to set up Google Family Link.
How to Use App Locker
One simple way to restrict your kids from viewing apps or content is to use the new App Locker feature in Oxygen OS. App Locker, as the name suggests, lets you block any apps that you don't want your kids to access by using a PIN number.
- Navigate to Settings.
- Tap Security & Fingerprint.
- Tap App Locker and type in the PIN number for your account.
- On the next screen, tap the lock icon to the right side of each app you want to lock.
How to Create a User Profile for Your Child
Oxygen OS and Android allow you to create additional user profiles on your smartphone. You can create an account for your child on your personal phone, and then switch to that account when your child is using your phone.
Follow these steps to create an additional account. (And keep in mind that this solution requires your child to have their own email address, and therefore may not be useful for all families):
- Navigate to Settings > Accounts and then tap Add Account.
- Type your child's email address and password.
- Choose a billing option. Here you can add credit for your child to use or simply choose the no-billing option.
- Hit Continue and you are ready to go.
Note that creating a separate account does not inherently create a safe space for your child. You will need to change the Google Play Store settings or even install a dedicated parental control app to lock down any features (read instructions below).
How to Restrict the Google Play Store
The Google Play Store is the central hub that allows you to download any app or game. Google allows you to restrict access for specific accounts, so make sure to log in to the child's account to change these settings.
- Open the Play Store app.
- In the left corner, tap Menu and navigate to Settings > Parental Controls.
- Turn Parental Controls to On.
- Create a PIN number to disallow any access to these parental control settings.
- You can now change filters for Movies, Games, TV, and Apps. Select the highest maturity level that you want your child to access. You can also disable access to explicit books and music.