How to set app and game limits across your child’s devices
If your child is spending too much time on certain apps or games, you can set limits on that app or game to help them achieve a healthy balance. App and game limits are available on Windows 10 and Xbox One devices, along with Android devices with Microsoft Launcher installed. Once you set a limit, that limit will work across all of their devices. (For example, if you give them three hours on YouTube, they can spend a total of three hours on Windows 10, Xbox One, and Android.)
To set app and game limits, go to family.microsoft.com and sign in with your Microsoft account. Then:
- Find your child’s name and select App and game limits. (App and game limits aren’t available on adult accounts at this time.)
- Find the app or game you want to set limits on. If you’ve never set limits, it’ll show how often they use the app or game on average.
- Set how much time your child is allowed to spend on the app or game each day, and when they’re allowed to use it.
Microsoft Family Safety App
The Microsoft Family Safety app allows parents to set screen time limits on all Microsoft-affiliated devices, including Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Microsoft Surface, Windows 10 devices, Windows 7 devices, and Windows Vista devices. Parents can use the app to create search filters and block mature content. The app also has built-in location sharing so you can track family members.
How to add a child to your Microsoft Family account
- Visit account.microsoft.com/family.
- Sign in with your personal Microsoft account and then select Add a Family Member.
- Select Child.
- Enter your child’s email address or phone number and select Send Invite.
- Make sure your child accepts your invitation.