Netflix is one of the most popular online streaming services in the U.S., with more than 100 million subscribers. Its content includes movies, TV shows, documentaries, and more, and it runs the gamut from kid-friendly to adult-only. Netflix can be accessed via web browsers, smart TVs, tablets, smartphones, and even consoles such as Xbox One and Playstation 4.
Parental Control Settings
With Netflix’s parental restrictions, you can add profiles for everyone in your family — each with different parental control settings to limit what content they can access. It’s best to set up these changes from a computer.
How to create a profile for your child
- Log in to Netflix.com. You’ll be greeted with a screen that says Who’s watching?
- Click on the Add Profile icon to the far right.
- Input your child’s name and then click Continue.
- On the Manage Profiles screen, you will be able to create additional parental controls on the account you just created. Click the pencil icon on the account.
- Click on the dropdown labeled Allowed TV Shows and Movies and choose one of these four options:
- For Little Kids only: This category features G-rated content suitable for younger children, including a variety of cartoons, nature documentaries, and silly kids’ movies and TV shows.
- For Older Kids and below: This category adds PG-rated movies and TV shows that include themes of violence — although no blood or gore is present.
- For Teens and below: This category adds PG-13 content that will not be suitable for younger children. Violence will be more graphic, and there will be mild explicit content.
- All Maturity levels: No restrictions. NC-17, NR, R, and UR content is available.
How to restrict by maturity level
- Log in to your Netflix account and select your profile.
- Click on your icon on the top-right corner of the screen and select Account from the dropdown that appears.
- Navigate to the Profile & Parental Controls section.
- Click the drop-down arrow next to your child’s profile.
- Navigate to Viewing Restrictions and click Change.
- You will be prompted to enter your password.
- Enter your password and click Continue.
- Choose which Maturity Rating is appropriate for your child and click Save.