Verizon allows parents to set up parental controls for individual devices that are connected to the network. Whenever a device is connected to a wireless network and allowed access via the password, Verizon logs the device.
For example, if your child has a laptop and a phone that are connected to the Wi-Fi network, each device will be listed separately, along with any other devices that have connected to the network. Verizon also allows users to set up parameters on a device-by-device basis, meaning the devices used by children can have specific controls.
Setting Up Parental Controls
Verizon subscribers can access parental controls directly here. To begin the process of setting up parental controls, you will need to log in into your Verizon account.
Once logged into your account:
- Click on the Parental Controls tab at the top of the screen.
- Scroll down until you see the Networked computers/devices list.
- Find your child’s device, click on it, then click the Add button.
- You can add multiple devices at one time or set up different settings for each device.
Blocking Specific Websites
To block specific websites or types of sites, you will need to create rules that ensure the selected devices cannot access content that you find objectionable. You can do this by listing specific websites, as well as sites that contain particular keywords.
- After you’ve selected the devices that you want to create rules for, click on the Block The Following Websites and Embedded Keywords within a Website tab.
- Type in the websites and keywords that you’d like to block.
- Follow the prompts to select whether the sites and keywords should always be blocked, or only during specific times of the day.
You may need to set up multiple rules based on the type of websites you are looking to block. If you’d like, for example, to block social media during certain times of day, you will need to set up one rule. A separate rule must be created to block mature content permanently. You will need to follow the same steps for each individual rule you wish to set up.